Thursday, May 6, 2010

Prayer for Spouses

So, I used to be a "pray from my heart, no written down prayers" type of girl. I used to think prayers were less authentic if someone else had written them down and prayed them. Then, I discovered the book The Power of a Praying Wife and fell in love with the prayers Stormie O'Martin wrote for women to pray for their husbands. Then, I thought about how we pray The Lord's Prayer in church. That one was spoken by Jesus himself; I don't think that's a bad one to copy. And lately, I've been praying the early saints' prayers. I figure these men and women who have lived holy lives probably have thought up some pretty good prayers that I would like to pray. Anyway, all that to say, I found this one on the Internet and LOVE IT for so many reasons. I'm not sure who wrote it. If you are married and the praying type, I think it's a good one for you and/or your spouse to pray for one another.

Lord Jesus, grant that _____________ (insert spouse's name) and I may have a true and understanding love for one another. Grant that we may both be filled with faith and trust. Give us the grace to live with each other in peace and harmony. May we always bear with one another's weaknesses and grow from each other's strengths. Help us to forgive one another's failings, and grant us patience, kindness, cheerfulness, and the spirit of placing the well-being of one another ahead of self. May the love that brought us together grow and mature with each passing year. Bring us both closer to You through our love for each other. Let our love grow to perfection. Amen.

-Author Unknown

*I hope this prayer brings you many blessings and much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment