Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Body for Life (for women)

I've so excited to tell you about this. I've been waiting to see how it would go for me for a few weeks before I shared. It's called Body for Life. You may have heard of it. It's been around for awhile, and I'm a little behind the times. Anyway, it's not supposed to be just another diet. It's supposed to be a lifestyle change~eating~working out~being HEALTHY! Now, I don't practice the method exactly, but I've been doing what works for me, my likes, and my lifestyle. If you want to know the cut-and-dry you can check out The Body for Life books. I personally like the Body for life for Women because it is personalized. So...Here's the gist.

You eat 6 small meals a day~filled with protein, SIMPLE carbs, and believe it or not a few fats (good for you ones of course, like avacados.) Then, you work out six times a week~the 7th is the day of rest, of course!

Why I like this lifestyle change... Why am I'm so excited to tell everyone about it? Let me tell you just a few reasons.

*I am a girl. Some girls claim that they are not hungry or don't like to eat. Say what they want (I don't believe them) I LOVE LOVE LOVE to eat! I LOVE FOOD. Food is a life-giver, energy. There are so many memories attached to food. I come from a line of AMAZING cooks! In my world, food=family=love.

*I have tried to navigate through the mass chaos of calories, dieting, starving, overeating. I have done it all. Anorexia, bulemia, binges, workout frenzy, and laziness. For a long list of reasons, I just couldn't get the eating/working out thing figured out. Too much? Too little? I'm a bit of an extremist. So I was either all in or all out when it came to dieting/working out. This eating/workout plan provides me with a COMPROMISE. I eat SIX TIMES A DAY, but I eat the healthy stuff. So, I can eat to have energy, but I don't have to over-eat because I know my next meal is right around the corner.

*In the book it says to only follow the plan 80% of the time. What about the other 20%? Dessert? Yes Please!

*Most importantly, I feel so much better. I'm not really doing this to loose weight; I'm doing this because it makes me feel ALIVE. Let's be honest, being a new mom it is kind of hard to get the nutrition that I need. So often I would be lucky if I had something to eat by 1:00 in the afternoon. Sometimes I would be so busy caring for my hubby and little one that I often got neglected. The BFL plan has provided me with a bit of routine. I convinced my hubby that we should join a gym, so I get up in the morning, eat, workout, eat......do some other things....and keep eating. Giving my body the fuel it needs. Giving me the ENERGY I need. I don't drag throughout my day anymore. I can keep with with life and enjoy it too!

I really hope I'm not getting too excited too fast. To be honest, sometimes the plan feels like a diet because boy oh boy do I like carbs(the complex ones like PASTA AND BREAD), but I'm trying to balance out my love for carbs with some protein and veggies. When it gets hard, I just have to remember the ENERGY that goes along with it!

I really hope everyone has some sort of plan like this that helps them feel energized throughout the day. I know Body for Life isn't the only plan out there like this. If you are having some of the issues I described above, you should either check out BFL or some other eating plan that will help you get on the right track.



1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Brooke! God speed on your desires to make healthy changes in your life. I have been reading a book by Jillian Michaels on metabolism and hormones and have tried to reduce the amount of carbs for supper, but have them more for breakfast and lunch. I noticed a difference in my baby belly area after doing that for a few days. When the weather gets better, we should get together some time!